I’ve had project ADD the past few weeks. I started a few different things, which was really the perfect excuse to procrastinate on the one thing I wanted to complete – our headboard. A DIY/decor blogger’s staple project, really.
After we painted the room, the previous purple/gray/lemon scheme wasn’t working. I realize I don’t even have a picture of the old headboard against the painted walls, but here’s what the headboard used to be like:
The purple could even have worked, but that lemon/lime color had to go. Plus, our room is already really small, and the low Malm bed and short headboard were just making everything feel squat and cramped. I knew I wanted a bright combination, and I went back and forth over a bold orange (like this inspiration), and more subtle tan-yellow. I also already had this coral rug that leaned towards the orange spectrum, so I was definitely biased towards orange.
Matt was the one who suggested that a more traditional coral color would look a little more polished while still being bright. The guy has excellent timing, because I’d been eyeing this fabric for accent pillows:
I’d written it off at first because the coral wasn’t quite orange, but with the new plan, it worked perfectly.
I got to work removing the old fabric and batting, using a flathead screwdriver to get the staples out.
I also removed my failed attempt at using Ply-Grip.
If someone can tell me how to use the wretched thing, I’ll be eternally grateful. For some reason, I could never get the staples through the holes in the Ply-Grip – my staple gun’s recoil always messed up the placement.
Anyway, once the old fabric and batting were removed, I attached two pieces of plywood with straight brackets to the headboard. I used two pieces because I wasn’t about to try and attach a 5.5′ long piece of plywood – it would literally be longer that I’m tall. I cut the pieces down so they would extend 18″ above the existing headboard. Before I attached them, I used spray adhesive to attach foam mattress toppers (if you decide to make an upholstered headboard, seriously, go get mattress toppers instead of dropping more than a 100 bucks on upholstery foam). The mattress toppers are 1.5″ thick, and I used half inch thick plywood, which worked perfectly for the Malm’s built-in 2″ thick headboard.
After that came batting, to even out the bumps and patterns on the mattress topper. I was able to reuse the old batting, but I also added a new layer. The trick is to pull tight and staple – same goes for the fabric.
I used a deep coral linen fabric from Premier Prints. I originally wanted to cut a pattern into my plywood, but ultimately decided to leave it rectangular so that the paisley pillows and coral headboard didn’t end up looking overly feminine.
I also liked the idea of buttons, but didn’t want to tuft the headboard. I guess I wanted to break up the expanse of coral but didn’t want something formal. So I covered buttons in the paisley fabric while marathoning Witches of East End.
Can’t forget the wine.
You’ll notice from the buttons in the background that I left the threads long – my plan was to sew the buttons onto the headboard surface. The idea was a bit of a quirky take on the traditional tufted headboard, because this way, the buttons wouldn’t be flush with, or sunken into, the headboard surface. I had no clue if this would work out well but I wanted to give it a shot.
It worked pretty decently.
And then I came home to find half the buttons had been taken off by one of the cats. Probably Catniss. That little devil.
I kind of wanted to cry – sewing those buttons on had been a bit of a task. Hell, covering them had been a bit of a task. After some debating I decided I liked the headboard without buttons as well. It’s simple and uncluttered, and the accent pillows add enough of a pattern for it to look good.
So, here goes.
The height really makes the space shine. It also prevents that painting from looking utterly stupid.
I adore the pillows. I specifically looked for paisley patterns because they’re pretty common in Indian designs, so it felt like a more personal touch, and a nod to my roots. Since the buttons didn’t work out, I may find another way to incorporate that fabric in this room.
The room is starting to feel more cohesive now, although the new headboard is making our desk area look particularly sad:
The chair’s upholstery is one of my first attempts – as you can tell from the bottom.
The cats chasing each other also resulted in my mirror coming apart, so that needs to be fixed.
At least the reflection is pretty.
But overall, I’m pretty happy with how the room is coming together, and how warm the coral makes everything.